Wednesday, March 14, 2012

THROUGH EIGHT YEARS

I really liked this piece for a variety of reasons. First of all it reminded me of a lot of pop culture which, in light of recent posts, really strikes me as interesting. Maybe Walt is in more pop culture than we know. Walt goes through eight years of his life in a short paragraph and is astounding at his ability to cram so much information into such a limited amount of space. It reminded me of Watchmen, both the graphic novel and the film, in which Dr. Manhattan, a super natural lead character, narrates most of his life's big events in a short series of panels (or minutes in the film's case). The voice of this piece also reminded me of a sort of Vonnegut Jr.- like voice. It was quick, to the point, yet oh, so descriptive.

I also liked the fact that Whitman mentions his own publication of Leaves of Grass in this piece. He mentions a little about how he left pieces out and briefly mentions that he had some difficulties in editing (even though this was one of his favorite pastimes with later editions). This piece really gave me a great insight into the mind of Walt, how it worked, and how he worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment